Well, this week’s fruit and veggie co-op bushel came with two heads of cauliflower — and wouldn’t you know it — I had just bought a head a few days ago. So that means I now have THREE heads of cauliflower to work into the meal plan for this week. Good thing I like cauliflower!
Today’s cauliflower side dish was one of my favs. I’m sure most of you have seen (and probably even tried) this recipe, but in case there are a few of you out there who still haven’t, I have to give my two thumbs up for this much lower calorie version of mashed potatoes — mashed cauliflower. I eat it all the time.
Anyway… here’s my basic recipe for mashed cauliflower:
– Take one medium-large head of cauliflower and chop into chunks.
– Place chunks into a big pot of boiling, salted water and cook until soft (about 10-15 minutes, depending on how big your chunks are).
– Drain well. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT!! The more dry you can get your cauliflower, the better. I have left too much moisture in before and it really makes it quite yucky!
– Place extremely well drained cauliflower back into the big pot and add 2 tbs of whatever butter product you want to use. (Real butter is the yummiest, of course, but I usually use my Brummel and Brown yogurt spread cuz it’s lower in calories and fat.) Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
– Break out your hand mixer and beat on low until your cauliflower looks like mashed potatoes. Adjust seasoning as needed.
There ya go! Give it a try! And let me know what you think.